Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Freshly fallen leaves

There is something unique about the smell of freshly fallen leaves. It is a dark and mysterious scent, earthy and fragrant at the same time - not quite decay or mildew, but not a fresh scent either. It is a comfortable smell, but with a hint of adventure. It is also not a smell often found in a warm climate like Houston - it comes with the cool feel of autumn.

I passed freshly fallen leaves by the train station tonight outside of London in a place called St. Margarets and the scent immediately took me back to my childhood days in Michigan. My thoughts went immediately to kicking leaves on my way to the bus stop, riding my bike through the yard, leaves spraying in a trail behind me and of jumping into a carefully constructed pile of leaves under a tree limb. Maybe these memories are why I feel a sense of adventure with this wonderfully unique smell. In any case I love it and I love the memories!

9 comments:

Theresa said...

Ah. I'm jealous. Sounds wonderful!

Joan said...

And how cool are the temperatures? You have to have apple cider and oatmeal cookies. Enjoy!

Mom said...

We had rain yesterday; thunder and lightning too.

Mary said...

The temperatures have been 55-60 in the mornings and into the low 80's every afternoon. I brought all my fall clothes and it is so warm. I had to buy a clearance dress and clearance flip flops today to walk around town.

Mary said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Maryam Arif said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.