Saturday, October 24, 2009

Feeling better

Well, I finally got sick enough that I found it necessary to try the health care in the UK. I had to go to a walk-in clinic in Teddington. Richard went with me last Tuesday and we did find our way - about 45 minutes to get there by bus.

I signed in and about 20 minutes later, a nurse practitioner called me into a room. She took my temperature and asked about my symptoms. She said she thought the doctor should see me, but he would not be in to the office for another 10 minutes. I was sent back to the waiting room.

About an hour later, a doctor came out and called my name. I had to follow him quickly through a maze of hallways to an examination room. He asked me about my symptoms, when I had last used antibiotics and took my blood pressure.

Then he asked me, "What do you have on under that sweater?" I thought that was a little weird, but told him and he said to keep it on for now. Then he listened to my lungs through the sweater.

He told me he would prescribe a nasal spray and an antibiotic - but did not give me an official diagnoses. He sent me back to the waiting room so he could write out the prescriptions, which he hand delivered to me 10 minutes later.

So, in the end - it was a long process for only 10 minutes with the nurse and doctor combined. However, I got what I needed to get better. The appointment was free and the prescriptions only cost 14.60 pounds.

The most important thing is that I am feeling much better!

No comments: