Monday, December 8, 2008

Weekend progress

So - my weekend did not go exactly as planned, but I still was able to get quite a bit done.

I did get Sara Lee to the vet this weekend - and then they told me she has to go somewhere else for the Pet Passport process. Nice of them to tell me when I got there, instead of before so I could make other plans! So now I have a call in to another place to see if I can get the process started again.

I did get my house re-arranged and a Christmas tree up and decorated and still have it clean for house pictures on Monday. I also packed up some clothes for Goodwill and cleared out some junk from the house.

I will admit that I procrastinated on Saturday somewhat, but it was a beautiful day and the girls wanted to have some fun. We went out to The Ice Rink near The Woodlands Market Street Saturday night. It was me, Amber, Alexa and one of Amber's friends. Alexa has never been ice skating before, so I knew it would be an experience to remember before we even got there - I just did not know if it would be good or bad.

So we entered the big tent and went straight to pay - wow what an expense - but we could stay as long as we wanted, so I guess it was o-k. We got our skates and pulled and tied, tightened and retied. Then we decided to get a locker for our shoes and my purse - so I had to stand in line again for change - no change machines in the tent. I got my four quarters and put them in the locker and took out the key. I guess it would have been smart to read the instructions. I had just locked the locker with nothing in it. So Amber got in line again to get four more quarters. Finally, we added everything and re-locked the locker and were ready to get on the ice.

Amber and her friend took off - not necessarily quickly, but much faster than Alexa and me. I took Alexa's hand and we made it once around the rink, shakily and with Alexa grabbing me with both hands at times for fear of falling. Just as we rounded the last curve, she lost balance and grabbed on to me and did a complete 360. It scared her even though she did not fall. SHe began to cry and insisted we needed to stop and she did not like it. I was not pleased as I had just shelled out her admission. So I decided to shell out more cash and get a "walker". This is very much what it sounds like and the little kids use them to get around the ice without losing their balance.
So we went out on the ice again and I pushed Alexa a little ways as she held onto her walker. The I suggested that she try to go on her own. She moved her skates foward and backwards but went nowhere. She tried again and still went nowhere and was quickly ready to give up. My patience was wearing thin as she refused to listem to my sage advice on how to skate. Amber and her friend arrived and asked what was wrong. By this time, Alexa was crying and stating that I was yelling at her - which I really felt like doing, but wa not. Thank goodness for older sisters. Amber and her friend took Alexa around the rink once and suddenly she was a little speed demon with a huge grin on her face.

After that, Alexa was ready to stay all night. She became very good at navigating around all of the slower kids and the stumbling and falling adults. She got good at starting and stopping and even asked me to speed up a few times. Now she is ready to go everyday. I don't think that will happen - but it's o-k for her to dream.

So - it was definitely an adventure to remember for both the bad and the good. Thankfully the evening ended on a high note. We all especially enjoyed the hot cocoa by the fire when we got home. It was a very fun Texas winter holiday evening.

No comments: