Friday, March 26, 2010

Stuck in Aberdeen

What a week. Tuesday, I left work early with a colleague and flew to Aberdeen to work in our office there for a few days. I will be working closely with some of our team there on a global project. Unfortunately, the weather was grey and rainy the whole time which leaves Aberdeen grey as well as the entire city is made of granite.

It was really great to work with the team in Aberdeen. It is a fun and relaxed office and I really look forward to working with them more. They are also a very caring office. I became very ill on Thursday and everyone was so kind in trying to help me feel better. I must have picked up a stomach bug or a case of food poisoning.

We were scheduled to head back to London Thursday night. At about 3 in the afternoon, the fog set in off the North Sea and only got worse as we headed to the airport that evening. After sitting and waiting on our flight, the airport shut down and all flights were cancelled. We were lucky to get rooms at the same hotel we had stayed at the previous night and our colleagues in Houston helped us get reservations on a train back to London on Friday.

The good news is I was able to get to bed earlier and my nausea settled down over night. On Friday, I got some sleep on the train to nurse the remaining headache I had. I also got to see some of Scotland's amazing coastline and bridges as well as a quick look at Edinburgh and Newcastle.

Finally, after 10 hours of travel, I am back at home and beginning to recover. There is no place like home!

2 comments:

Mom said...

I am glad to see you are back home. I am sure the family is glad to have you back.

Theresa said...

Poor thing! Sounds like it would have been a really fun trip if you hadn't been so sick!