Thursday, September 3, 2009

Nineteen years

Nineteen years ago today, my dad left this world for a new one. You would think that after that much time I wouldn't miss him so much. I think with all of the changes we have gone through and are going through that I almost miss him more.

Here is an essay I wrote a year after his death. I like to read it sometimes to remind myself that he is still with me.

As a child, laughing and playing, I remember my father, seemingly in the background, as a strong silent image evoking kindness and reassurance. He was always there when I needed a hand to hold. He always kept me in line and pointed me in the right direction.

As I grew older and made my way through school, I must have asked my father thousands of questions. I'm sure that most of them were serious and that a good share were just silly. Still, no matter how trivial the questions may have been, he never denied me an answer.

I began to watch my father, how he worked and studied; how he interacted with the people around him. I learned through his example that observation is one of the most important tools in gaining knowledge. I also discovered that honesty and hard work are the only true pathways to respect and success.

Even after my father's death in this world, I continued to learn from the man and his example. I learned that life goes on, even through pain and sorrow. I learned that my life must go on as well. Still, I have only recently realized what I believe to be the most valuable knowledge my father ever imparted to me. Even though one may lose a person to God, the love and support of that person remains. I still have the strong silent image of my father, his kindness and reassurance. Most of all, I still have his love.

Thank you, Dad.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe it's been 19 years. I know he is so proud of you and what you have and will accomplish. That is a great story and it was great watching you recieve the award for it.