Tuesday, February 3, 2009

February 3rd

It was fun trying to get to work today. All of the snow on the sidewalks turned to thick ice and the trains were only running twice per hour. So it took me almost 2 1/2 hours to get to work. I made it though. It was better on the way home - just crowded. There is no more snow or ice in London proper - but there is plenty still in Surbiton. I still think it is pretty in the parks and gardens.

Today would have been my grandfather's birthday. I have thought of him a lot today. He was so full of mischief and humor. I see him in my kids sometimes and it makes me smile. I see him in my mom sometimes and that makes me smile too.

Now that I am here, I find myself wondering more about his time in Europe during WWII. I have been thinking of doing a little research into it and maybe going to some of those places. I am a little afraid that it might depress me though. I will let you know if I follow through on it.

6 comments:

Joan said...

Yeah, did you see my mess up, I got Dad and Grandpa's birthdays mixed up - I corrected it though.
Do you still have his tape of songs at the nursing home?
Did Mom get off for the States okay?

Mary said...

I did not see your mess-up. I have the lullaby tape - I think Mom or Tom have the full nursing home tape.
I believe Mom's plane took off at almost 4 PM GMT. She should be in Houston around 8 PM CST.
I promise to write something about Dad on the 7th.

Joan said...

I have that tape and I love it. I think Colt has it in his room and plays it every so often. I really should get it transferred to a digital recording. I also still have the tape of Dad's funeral. I need to check with Tom and see if he can fix it up to be decently audible.

Name the person who said this; "Wanna dance, Honey?"

Mary said...

I think that would have been grandpa.

Joan said...

Yup, then he would tease Grandma about tooting while they danced. He was such a rascal!! Imiss him too, wiggling foot and all!

ps i'm off my meds for the thallium treadmill tomorrow and the headaches have returned full force with the vision changes. whoopee!!

Theresa said...

I thought of him today too. Visited Grussome Hollow to read about him and Grandma.