Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Trains

This morning the trains were wonderful. I even got a seat on a direct train to London - no stops. I think I made it to work in record time - 45 minutes. I loved it!

This evening, I left work a little later than normal and did a little bit of shopping. I made it to the train station just after 8 PM. This was also good because I was able to catch another direct train- no stops. I was also able to get a seat again. I chose one next to one person and facing two others. As I sat down, the man directly in front of me said something - which I thought was directed to me. Since I had my iPod on, I took out my earbud and asked him if he had said something to me. He said no, but the man next to him began asking me questions instead. He quickly discovered I am American and the rambling began. It was soon evident that both men had been heavily drinking - and as they later told me, it took them the good part of the day to reach their current level of silliness. They also spent a great deal of time reviewing the Psychology book belonging to the guy next to me. They saw some pretty strange things in the book in their current state of mind. All in all, I think they kept everyone in the coach very entertained.

So my commutes today were swift and entertaining - a good day.

2 comments:

Joan said...

What kinds of questions did they ask?

Mary said...

What city are you from? Do all the businessmen in Houston wear big hats and boots? Who is Five for Fighting? Do you know what the first American girl I met said to me? (She asked him if he was Australian. She was from Grand Rapids.) Much of it I could not understand as they were slurring quite a bit.