Saturday, June 6, 2009

Relief

Yesterday I had my first migraine in the UK - and it was a doozy. It also caught me completely off guard. Luckily, I have not had one since I have been here, but I think that gave me a false sense of security. It also means that I had not prepared my medicine cabinet with any medicine specifically for migraines.

I spent half of the day fighting it with traditional painkillers to no effect.

I finally crawled out of bed around 1:00 PM and slowly made my way to the closest pharmacy. All of the medicine was behind the counter so I had to ask for help - which was fine by me - less to think about. So I talked with the lady about traditional painkillers, but I insisted that I needed something specifically for migraines if she had it. So she gave me something called Migraleve. The packet has 12 pills - 8 pink and 4 yellow. She was careful to explain that I had to take 2 pink pills first and that if that did not work after 4 hours to take the yellow pills and that I could not take more than 2 pink pills in a day.

So, I made my way back home, took two pink pills and went back to bed. 4 hours later, I had a little relief, but still had a lesser migraine. So I decided to take the yellow pills. At this point, the pain was to a point where I could somewhat concentrate and I decided to look at what was in these pills. I was floored. I had just bought over-the-counter drugs containing...CODEINE.

Well - I will say this - it worked. I feel so much better this morning. Of course, I slept from 6 PM to 8 AM.

Migraleve rocks!

1 comment:

Theresa said...

Ha! I can't believe they let you buy that without a prescription. Chuck couldn't even buy the equivalent of Neosporin over the counter when we were there.