Sunday, July 12, 2009

Unstuck Headboard

Yay - our headboard is no longer stuck in the stairwell!

I forgot to tell you that the moving company came back out to the house last Thursday and took away all of the boxes. It was a different crew this time made up of three Polish guys. (There is a large Polish population here - similar to the Hispanic population in Houston.) In any case, I asked them to move the partially dis-assembled headboard from the staircase landing and put it in the garage. The lead guy thought he could find a way to get it up the stairs.

So they tried and tried and even asked my permission to speak in Polish to strategize better. In the end we all agreed that it needed to be taken apart before it would go up the stairs. I signed a waver and the hammering began. After 90 minutes of hacking away at the very well put together headboard, they finally got the top portion off and the whole thing up the two flights of stairs. Another hour later and the headboard was back together, a little worse for wear - but functional and the bed is finally off of the floor.

In the midst of it all, they learned that my grandparents were from Poland and I mentioned the name Kurzynowski. They became very excited. Come to find out, there is a very popular Polish Olympian named Kurzynowski - he won 2 gold medals in walking. Who knew? Well - come to find out - it's too good to be true - the real Olympian is Robert Korzeniowski. Close - but no cigar.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you don't mind, would it be okay with you if I speak only in flemish next week when I see you?

Theresa said...

that is so funny! wish I could have been there to see it.