Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Trash day

Here is the UK, they are very good about recycling. I have a special bag for cardboard, 3 bins for plastic, cans and glass, a food bin that is sent for composting and a regular trash bin (garbage can). All get picked up every other Wednesday. Then the recycling is picked up again on the in-between Wednesdays. So not having been in the house that long, this was the first Wednesday when I had to get everything out to the sidewalk.

None of this was really on my mind when I got home Tuesday night around 9:30 PM from work. I came in the house exhausted and put on my pajamas (a tank top and silky shorts because it was hot). I walked back downstairs to get a quick bite and a drink and remembered that I needed to take the trash out for the next day. I contemplated going back upstairs and changing and decided it was definitely too much effort for just taking the trash quickly to the sidewalk. I then contemplated just running out as I was and doing it really quickly. It was dark out already and late - so who would see me? Then I thought, maybe I should just cover up a little. So I grabbed my apron and threw it on over my pajamas. I figured no one would probably see me, but at least I would be somewhat covered up.

I opened the door and started dragging the big bin to the sidewalk when my next door neighbor came out and began taking out his trash too. Then he started talking with me and asking me questions about how long I have lived in London, my family, Texas, and on and on. While this is typically really nice and friendly, I kept thinking he must think I am really strange for wearing pajamas and an apron while putting out the trash barefoot and talking with my neighbor. I tried to act like nothing was out of the ordinary.

Looking back, I think I must have looked like someone that American TV always seems to interview after a tornado hits. How embarrassing! Lesson learned - trust that there is always someone who will see you on the street - and who will want to talk.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG Mary! That sounds like something that would happen to me. Kind of hard to act nonchalant when your standing in your PJ's, isn't it? Love the pics of your flat. It looks cozy. When will the family be making it over the pond to stay?

Mary said...

Richard and rthe girls are flying out on the 19th. The girls will be staying - but Richard will have to go back on the 26th. We are all prayinghe finds a job while he is here.

Theresa said...

Love the tornado bit. That's so right!