Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Four days left - well 3 1/2...

My UK Visa came today and I am officially authorized to live and work in the UK. My plane leaves Friday night and I will be in London on Saturday. It is a little overwhelming and unbelievable - but also exciting.

At home, we are all a little anxious as we try to spend as much quality time together while I also work on packing. The hardest part will be the length of time we (Richard, Amber, Alexa and I) will be apart from each other. I will miss them so very much!

On another note, I ordered some furnitire from IKEA in the UK - just basics like a table and dining chairs and a very simple unenclosed wardrobe. Everything was fine and I submitted the order - but thought it was strange that there was no option to choose a delivery date. Apparently, you do not get an option, it will be delivered when they want to deliver it. Anyway, I submitted the order and the ETA was Jan 26 - 9 days after I arrive and 16 days from order date. Then, I received confirmation and the new ETA for delivery is Feb 2nd. I am thinking I could make a few trips to IKEA and bring it all home on the train at this rate - which I very well may do. In anycase, I will be bringing an air mattress to sleep on the first few weeks.

On the bright side, I spoke with the estate agent today and she was very nice. She is tranferring all of the utilities for me and is even supplying some interim furniture for me until mine is delivered from IKEA.

And so the adventure continues...

2 comments:

Joan said...

Can you tag any of the furniture you already sent over? Where are you going to put Mom when she gets there?
AND O M G!! 3 days! I can't believe it. It has gone by so quickly, delays and all. The excitement and dread all wrapped up in one delightfully horrible fun feeling. Not sure whether to laugh with joy at your going to England or cry in sadness at the distance between us. But to put a positive spin, and picture Colt's head bobbing with Attitude - "You Go Girl!"

Mary said...

All of my other furniture is in storage to be sent via a container when Richard and the girls come over.

Mom is staying with me and at the very least, we will have a queen size air mattress to share. I still need to call IKEA and beg for an earlier delivery date - or at least an option to pick up the furniture.

And tell Colt with a head bob - "Shhyeah!"