Monday, January 5, 2009

Happy New Year

I hope everyone had a wonderful long weekend to celebrate the beginning of 2009.

We celebrated Alexa's birthday also this weekend - her last one in the US for awhile. So we worked to make it memorable. The theme for this year was Build-a-Bear and Alexa really wanted a Build-a-Bear cake. Now, I do not normally bake cakes of any kind, but she begged me to make this 3D cake and even asked for it as one of her birthday gifts, so I told her I would do it.

So we brought the molded cake pan home and we purchased all of the ingredients and read through the instructions. Then, I started laughing when I added up all of the prep time and cook times and cool times and frosting times and realized that it would take me all day to make the cake - seriously - over 6 hours! But since I promised, I was fully committed.

Then we began to the work of measuring and mixing and I will say the cake batter recipe is really good. Then we baked and cooled and shaped and frosted and cooled some more. Then we glazed and sugared and frosted and sprinkled and cooled some more. When it was all done - just before the guests arrived - it actually looked pretty good - but I was exhausted!


You can tell the nose and the mouth were the last things put on the cake and my dedication to quality was beginning to fail...

If anyone wants to try this themselves, I have the cake pan and all of the instructions ready for you...

No comments: