Thursday, January 15, 2009

Last night in the USA

So, I had breakfast with a business contact this morning and he mentioned that I was pretty calm considering the fact I would be leaving for London tomorrow. I just laughed. I guess I am pretty calm, but I think the realization has not fully set in. I am just focusing on one thing at a time.

One of the things I am focusing on is the food I will not have in London. So I am trying to take every opportunity I can to have Mexican and American food before I go. I have had Hamburgers, enchiladas, tostados, cuban sandwiches, fried plantains and biscuits with sausage gravy. Tonight is Double Dave's pizza. I think I have gained 5 pounds this week...

The other main thing I am working on is packing. Filling the suitcases is exhausting. I never knew clothes could weigh so much. I have 4 suitcases packed (Mom is helping me with the luggage allowances and bring 2 over next week.) Now I have to re-arrange them all so I can be sure each one is less than 50 Lbs. I may have to make some hard choices on what to take and what to leave behind. It is weird packing up that much stuff for just me.

1 comment:

Joan said...

Hi, Sweet Sister, I am home now. It turns out I had an esophageal spasm from the doxycycline irritation and resultant chest pain that sent me into a panic attack with hyperventilation and respiratory acidosis causing tingling from a drop in serum calcium levels. I spent most of Thursday in the ER then went up to a room at 6:30 and then labs, chest xrays, and more labs until the doctor came to let me go home at 7:30 Friday evening. Heart function is 60-65% - Normal, no elevation in cardiac enzymes - so no heart attack. I have to call tomorrow for a stress test on Wednesday and then follow-up the following week. Seems like not everything is hunky-dory but I'll focus on that then. The doctor was so sweet because I had been pretty emotional all day. (Sorry I hung up on you, I was starting to cry. I thought most everything was said and I didn't want to upset you with my tears.) I had told Amy I would chaperone the retreat and told Vernon it was no big deal, I would be there and then had to tell them leave without me. I told them I would maybe come depending on the outcome of the tests. The doctor was all "What is going on? The nurses are telling me you have been crying." Then he told me to have Vernon stop the car and come and get me for the retreat. I was so grateful all was well. I called Vernon and told him and the retreat team I would be there but would be late. I left the hospital to go home, shower, get the new prescription filled, and then drive up to Plantersville.
We had a good retreat and I am still adjusting to the new meds, (I get a bit lightheaded if I move too fast).
We got home today and I fell asleep cutting coupons, woke up at 5PM, missed Mass, went grocery shopping, finishing laundry, and Thank God, I am off tomorrow.
Hope you are settling in well, are not too cold or lonely yet, and excited about your first day to the office in London town.