Friday, January 30, 2009

History is all around

Today my colleague and I met a contact for lunch. This isn't really the point of my story, but the name of the restaurant was Balls Brothers of London. Very good food - but very strange name.

Anyway, on our way to the restaurant, we passed old and new buildings all mixed together and I saw a lone church tower standing in the middle of a little street. Apparently it was left over from the war - the rest of it being bombed out.

After lunch, we stopped by St. Paul's Cathedral - which is unbelievable! Outside, we walked over a stone in the walkway placed there in 1897 declaring Queen Victoria's thanks to God upon the 60th anniversary of her ascension.
















Later we passed St. Mary le Strand - another church in the middle of the road - but this one intact and very pretty.


















Then we walked through Trafalgar Square before catching a cab back to Mayfair.
















Just another day in London.

5 comments:

Theresa said...

Can you post a picture of the wedding cake church?

Mary said...

Which one is that?

Mary said...

O-k - I found it. I will see if Mom and I can go by there tomorrow and take a picture.

Amber said...

Wow that sounds so cool i totally want to see that when i visit over spring break!!

Mary said...

We can totally do that!