Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Ah - the modern world...

So you know I do not have a clothes dryer - an automated one that is. So I use a collapsible rack that I put up in my living room and hang the clothes on it to dry. Actually this is not too bad since I hang dry many of my clothes anyway.

But I have found that setting up house again after so many years is more difficult than you might think. Thank heaven for my friend Sharon here in London! She came over to my flat the first Sunday I was here after cleaning out her loft (attic) and completely set me up. She brought me a can opener and corkscrew, dishes and bowls, pots and pans, various utensils, a bookcase and two side tables. She also brought a hair dryer and a clothes rack(mentioned above), drinking glasses and wine glasses, and pictures for my wall. She also brought a desk chair, a duvet and pillows and even a TV and Digibox (sorta like public cable). She brought me tools and a flashlight, hangers and dish towels, and a variety of other important household items. She then gave me a gift of chocolates, champagne and candles. Most importantly, she brought me a friendly face and a cheerful welcome to this country. What an amazing and wonderful woman and friend!

Since then, I have been ordering electronics, as most all of ours from the US will not work in the UK. So I was so excited when this week my first order arrived. I now have a toaster, a telephone, a coffee maker and a microwave! I also received my modem and now have Internet access. I am starting to feel connected to the world once more!

2 comments:

Theresa said...

God bless Sharon for bringing over the corkscrew!!!!!

Mary said...

I agree 100%! It was one of the first things she pulled out of the bag. Then we toasted with the champagne!