Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A math teacher's dream word problem...

Today I experienced the joy of commuting in London during rush hour. This is extremely different than in Houston, even if you ride the bus. First, I walked half a mile to the train station. Then I caught a train and had to stand in fairly close proximity of others to my end destination - Waterloo Station. I then moved with the crowd to the underground tube queues (subway lines).

It was very quiet and everyone stood in groups in front of the doors that would open to the tube once it arrived. I must admit that I did not completely understand the need for these doors at the station until today. As I stood in what I thought to be a very short line (and I use that term loosely as it was more a group of people bunched together) of about 7 people, about 6 more people arrived and crowded around us.

Then, the tube arrived and it was packed like a can of sardines - I know that sounds cliche - but it really was packed wall to wall. The doors opened and suddenly the crowd writhed and moved and about 5 people squeezed out of the tube car one by one.
Suddenly, my little group all pressed forward as one and all tried to push their way into the writhing crowd of people. Only about 4 people made it on when the doors on the platform closed, forcing those left behind to back up.

This process continued two more times before I made it on a crowded car mashed between 3 other people - and I do mean mashed together. If I had dropped anything, there would have been no means of retrieval. It was definitely an interesting morning.

So here is the math word problem: A London tube car has a capacity to hold 50 people. A tube car arrives at the station carrying 73 people. 6 people squeeze out of the car. How many can squeeze on?

Do you think it is called the Tube because it resembles a tube of toothpaste when the people squeeze out of the doors?

5 comments:

Joan said...

I would guess the same as got off the Tube - 6.
Do they call it a tube of toothpaste in London?
I'm looking forward to both answers - Cheerio!

Mary said...

Really it depends on the size of the people that get off and get on - doesn't it? It wasn't always equal anyway...

No idea on the toothpaste thing - I will let you know.

Theresa said...

So, do you think you'll be able to get your IKEA stuff on the tube now? I wasn't sure how you were planning to do that when you mentioned it earlier. Of course, perhaps you could make it work when it isn't rush hour. Still, sounds like a pain in the ass to me. I would just wait for the delivery.

Mary said...

I am definitley waiting on delivery, although I might make Mom go out there with me to get a few little things. Definitely NOT during rush hour.

Amber said...

Ok don't tell my math teacher that math question i wouldnt be able to figure it out!!!!